|The Only Genealogy For Israel's King Messiah
And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom. (13) He shall build an house for my name, and I will stablish the throne of his kingdom for ever. 2 Samuel 7:12,13
The following is the only genealogy in the Hebrew Scriptures for King Messiah. The list starts with David to whom the covenant was made and through Solomon who built the
. King Ahaz is there to whom the virgin birth prophecy was made. It goes through Jeconiah and the curse, and ends six generations past Zerubbabel.
The New Testament continues with this same genealogy. It goes from Zerubbabel to Joseph, the step father of Jesus of Nazareth. And it ends with the virgin birth of King Messiah.
1 Chronicles 3:1 Now these were the sons of David, which were born unto him in Hebron; the firstborn Amnon, of Ahinoam the Jezreelitess; the second Daniel, of Abigail the Carmelitess: (2) The third, Absalom the son of Maachah the daughter of Talmai king of Geshur: the fourth, Adonijah the son of Haggith: (3) The fifth, Shephatiah of Abital: the sixth, Ithream by Eglah his wife. (4) These six were born unto him in
; and there he reigned seven years and six months: and in
he reigned thirty and three years.
(5) And these were born unto him in
; Shimea, and Shobab, and Nathan, and Solomon*, four, of Bathshua the daughter of Ammiel: (6) Ibhar also, and Elishama, and Eliphelet, (7) And Nogah, and Nepheg, and Japhia, (8) And Elishama, and Eliada, and Eliphelet, nine. (9) These were all the sons of David, beside the sons of the concubines, and Tamar their sister.
(10) And Solomon's son was Rehoboam, Abia his son, Asa his son, Jehoshaphat his son, (11) Joram his son, Ahaziah his son, Joash his son, (12) Amaziah his son, Azariah his son, Jotham his son, (13) Ahaz** his son, Hezekiah his son, Manasseh his son, (14) Amon his son, Josiah his son. (15) And the sons of Josiah were, the firstborn Johanan, the second Jehoiakim, the third Zedekiah, the fourth Shallum.
(16) And the sons of Jehoiakim: Jeconiah*** his son, Zedekiah his son.
(17) And the sons of Jeconiah; Assir, Salathiel his son, (18) Malchiram also, and Pedaiah, and Shenazar, Jecamiah, Hoshama, and Nedabiah.
(19) And the sons of Pedaiah were, Zerubbabel, and Shimei: and the sons of Zerubbabel; Meshullam, and Hananiah, and Shelomith their sister: (20) And Hashubah, and Ohel, and Berechiah, and Hasadiah, Jushabhesed, five.
(21) And the sons of Hananiah; Pelatiah, and Jesaiah: the sons of Rephaiah, the sons of Arnan, the sons of Obadiah, the sons of Shechaniah. (22) And the sons of Shechaniah; Shemaiah: and the sons of Shemaiah; Hattush, and Igeal, and Bariah, and Neariah, and Shaphat, six. (23) And the sons of Neariah; Elioenai, and Hezekiah, and Azrikam, three. (24) And the sons of Elioenai were, Hodaiah, and Eliashib, and Pelaiah, and Akkub, and Johanan, and Dalaiah, and Anani, seven.
Matthew 1:13 And Zorobabel begat Abiud; and Abiud begat Eliakim; and Eliakim begat Azor;
(14) And Azor begat Sadoc; and Sadoc begat Achim; and Achim begat Eliud; (15) And Eliud begat Eleazar; and Eleazar begat Matthan; and Matthan begat Jacob;
(16) And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
(18) Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
(20) But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. (21) And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
(22) Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, (23) Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
The genealogy of the combined Hebrew Scriptures and New Testament show that only Jesus of Nazareth can be
s King Messiah, the Savior of mankind.
* Solomon builds the temple and the Messianic line can only go through him.
** The prophecy of the virgin birth given, Isaiah 7:14
*** The curse pronounced on King Messiahs line, Jeremiah 22:25-30
By John McTernan:
Proclaim the Faith
Blog: John McTernan's Insights at www.johnmcternan.name